Check Out the Cool Kids

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Taking Liberty -- Part 26

Well faithful few, here we go.  I don't think it'll be much longer before we find out what happens to Liberty and Elizabeth.

If you have no idea what exactly is going on, make sure you check out my Taking Liberty page.  It has an explanation, links to all the story parts, and summaries if you're short on time.


Liberty took another step toward me.  With each inch she crossed, I could feel waves of energy ripple toward me.  Each slap of it made me feel a little weaker, a little less substantial. I tried to close my eyes and block it out, make it go away like I could once manage.  I could feel the lids slide closed, but Liberty was still there in front of me.

I was slipping away.

Liberty had stopped stalking me.  Now she was standing, squinting at me.

"What does it feel like for you?  Does it feel empty, lonely?"

I heard a whimpering, and for a moment thought I might have managed to make the sound.   But then I realized that it wasn't just Liberty and I in the room.

James.

Without actually moving, I found myself next to James. Inches from his face.

"You have to help me." I whispered, and knew that nothing audible was said.

His eyes got wider, and he looked up at Liberty.  "I can't."

I could hear Liberty moving quickly behind me.  "Then I'm sorry. I really am."

I pushed myself toward him.  It felt like I was jumping into an icy lake, freezing me to the core.

Then there was darkness.

I opened my eyes and looked up at Liberty.  I pushed myself up with a power I wasn't used to and staggered.

"We're not so different after all, are we Elizabeth?  Both willing to take what isn't ours."

She leaned forward and brushed her hand across my arm.  I could feel the sensation, but it was disconnected in a way. Distant.

I heard James whimpering again.  This time it was louder.

"Don't worry, James.  This part'll be over soon." I whispered to him.  "But I'm afraid it's going to hurt you more than it hurts me."

I clenched my fist, feeling James' muscles ripple, and charged at Liberty.


I think this just might put a damper on the Elizabeth/James romance.  Not sure you can really be with a person after they've been that...close to you.

Hope you enjoyed and you stick around for next week's episode!

4 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Smart move on Elizabeth's part, but I agree it's going to make their romance much more...interesting. That's assuming James and Elizabeth make it through all this.

Alice Audrey said...

I'll say it'll put a damper on it, especially when he didn't exactly offer.

Unknown said...

Amazing story telling as always. I kind of felt like James would play a role in the final showdown but I wasn't 100% sure how. I really like this though.

Kwee Cats and Art said...

Wow. This is going to be a heck of a ride all the way to the end!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...